Epic charity shop pottery haul

 I have a "honeyhole" charity shop. All these ceramics is from one go. Why I titled this post "epic"? Majorly because of the lamp but all items are fab!

The lamp

I was drawn to it as if it was a big magnet there on the table. It's abstract artsy look is amazing, it's colors and it is tall and big and a statement peace and with very good price. Yes please, thank you!

I had a quick look in the shop, it is inscribed and additional sticker remain. 

McCluskey Pottery. Artist Sean McCluskey, Limavady in Northern Ireland. Have to tell you I had not heard about him before.

Sadly when looking him up, he seem to have passed

13.02.2011. But his works live on their lives. Can use your imagination what travels this lamp has seen since its birth.

Looking around internet there is not a lot of his work around and I would say from the things I've seen so far...this is the Crown Jewel of his work. I am so pleased of this find and I plan to enjoy it myself for a while until I let it go. I need to find a shade for it. What color it should be? Pink? Green?

Hm. Will see.

Two larger bowls

These wonderful bowls are from another fabulous Irish potter who we have unfortunately lost quite recently 25.03.2021- Michael Kennedy. Here is a great article about him:

https://www.making.ie/stories/michael-kennedy-pottery 

He had such as strong style, that everyone recognize his work.

There is plenty of it around, since he had studios in Sligo and in Gort. When I happened to be in Gort, I went to see his studio. Of course it was closed (after his death) but I was admiring the ceramic tiles with what he had decorated the facade of his studio. I don't know why I did not take a picture there...I really understood why he chose to open the studio there ( seemed to be a complex of buildings surrounding courtyard garden ). It was just such a inspiring property & surroundings.

If to look around the internet there are a lot of fish motive he stamps into his pots. I love how he used red glaze and the handles are uniquely decorated.






The vase

 

Eric Crampton was the founder of Malahide Pottery and it's shop, that seemed to be very successful, since he advertised himself over media.

Here is an article from 2010 when shop was closed after 30 years of business

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/fingal/landmark-business-thanks-customers-with-final-sale/27801055.html

Interesting stories when to Google and find out about these potters and their stories.

Pottery is one of the oldest craft there is. Ancient Rome potters took great pride of what they did and even today 2000 years later, we find their pottery shards with their names inscribed. I find this amazing!

The little bowl

This avocado shaped ceramic bowl is not signed, probably factory produce but it is perfect size to serve nibbles and pickles.

I will finish this post but this ain't all. There is more pottery to come! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charity shop haul

Houston Llew

Galway Potters Market 2023