Skip to main content

Epic charity shop pottery haul

 I have a "honeyhole" charity shop. All these ceramics is from one go. Why I titled this post "epic"? Majorly because of the lamp but all items are fab!

The lamp

I was drawn to it as if it was a big magnet there on the table. It's abstract artsy look is amazing, it's colors and it is tall and big and a statement peace and with very good price. Yes please, thank you!

I had a quick look in the shop, it is inscribed and additional sticker remain. 

McCluskey Pottery. Artist Sean McCluskey, Limavady in Northern Ireland. Have to tell you I had not heard about him before.

Sadly when looking him up, he seem to have passed

13.02.2011. But his works live on their lives. Can use your imagination what travels this lamp has seen since its birth.

Looking around internet there is not a lot of his work around and I would say from the things I've seen so far...this is the Crown Jewel of his work. I am so pleased of this find and I plan to enjoy it myself for a while until I let it go. I need to find a shade for it. What color it should be? Pink? Green?

Hm. Will see.

Two larger bowls

These wonderful bowls are from another fabulous Irish potter who we have unfortunately lost quite recently 25.03.2021- Michael Kennedy. Here is a great article about him:

https://www.making.ie/stories/michael-kennedy-pottery 

He had such as strong style, that everyone recognize his work.

There is plenty of it around, since he had studios in Sligo and in Gort. When I happened to be in Gort, I went to see his studio. Of course it was closed (after his death) but I was admiring the ceramic tiles with what he had decorated the facade of his studio. I don't know why I did not take a picture there...I really understood why he chose to open the studio there ( seemed to be a complex of buildings surrounding courtyard garden ). It was just such a inspiring property & surroundings.

If to look around the internet there are a lot of fish motive he stamps into his pots. I love how he used red glaze and the handles are uniquely decorated.






The vase

 

Eric Crampton was the founder of Malahide Pottery and it's shop, that seemed to be very successful, since he advertised himself over media.

Here is an article from 2010 when shop was closed after 30 years of business

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/fingal/landmark-business-thanks-customers-with-final-sale/27801055.html

Interesting stories when to Google and find out about these potters and their stories.

Pottery is one of the oldest craft there is. Ancient Rome potters took great pride of what they did and even today 2000 years later, we find their pottery shards with their names inscribed. I find this amazing!

The little bowl

This avocado shaped ceramic bowl is not signed, probably factory produce but it is perfect size to serve nibbles and pickles.

I will finish this post but this ain't all. There is more pottery to come! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifting some famous names: Wright, Akerman, Bodum

  This haul consist of multiple thrifting days items. I was drawn to this picture because of it color combination and graphical look quality.  It's print of Richard Akerman work "Tva vilstolar" / Two Deck Chairs". Printed in Karlstad, Sweden by Pictura Graphics AB. This work is from 1980s and very groovy. https://marcusakerman.com/about-marcus-akerman/richard-akerman/ This Bodum French coffee press is cool designer looking so I had to crab it. https://www.bodum.com/ie/en/ Bodum story is also interesting. https://www.bodum.com/ie/en/about   This coffee table book looked interesting to me. Covering famous American people and companies who have made name to themselves. Widens my knowledge, I am sure I find something there that I don't know about. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1550721.America_s_Elite_1000 Another book of famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright by Diane Maddex. Its mainly about tips from famous architect on subject how to make small spaces ...

Thrifting Banksy, jewelry, Hilfiger, diffuser, Masai Copenhagen

  I had "guns blazing"  fun with thrifting last week.  This Tommy Hilfiger pouch bag fits under arm perfectly and is brand new. Does not seem to be never warn. I can see how this design is influenced by Louis Vuitton. Textile with initials but then having Hilfigers iconic blue and red stripe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Hilfiger   These are two costume jewelry pieces that I picked up. The earrings are interesting to me because these are like very thin mesh tubes that have tiny crystals in them. The ring is no doubt a statement piece. I think its the largest ring I ever had. This Banksy's street art depiction was fun find. What makes it extra interesting is that it is print on the glass not paper. In my opinion it brings it to high quality level. The frame works so well too with it. If I am not mistaken it us by this company: https://artdesigna.co.uk/collections/banksy?srsltid=AfmBOoq87xvnEg0hTFx2oSGZ5K7P0KKfTiejFdm1WVP9zpmkiTyPVWXD Panda with Guns originally ...

Last week thrifting finds

  This is a compilation of items I picked last week from different charity shops.  One thing I always looking out and picking from charity shops is colored tights . Why pay about 8 EUR in department store when you get them from charity for 2EUR. For me they are perfect to make any outfit more interesting. Look at that color and pattern. Its fabulous. Wonderful oversized pottery mug or bowl. It is not signed and it is heavy to lift. I think it is someone's handmade project. That is what I like about it. I served a salad from it and it brought instant artsiness to the table. Bonus is its lime green inside and dark green outside glaze. Then I found these Casa Decor drawer knobs . Very good quality. Currently I have bed side tables with boring wooden knobs. I  think I need to do a makeover, to paint my side tables with new exciting color and use these knobs. I think knobs require darker color to make them pop.  Searched them up from internet. Quality Indian home decor. ...